Utilizing the power of chocolate at the most opportune moments in life.
Taken at key times it can unlock a power within us
To take on and seize almost any moment
Of any day.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

"If The Savior Stood Beside Me"

Today at church in Primary (the children's program) the children were practicing a song they will be singing in the Fall for the Primary Children's Program.  "If The Savior Stood Beside Me", (there are several versions around on the internet here is one that I thought was nice:"If The Savior Stood Beside Me" , I also liked this version and this child's voice version). I heard this song several years ago and it touched my heart today as much as it did the first time I heard it, perhaps even more.

As a wife and mother of two young children, ages 3 and 6, I have learned a lot about myself as I have tried to care for, teach, nurture, and discipline my two daughters, along with trying to be a supportive help-meet to my spouse. Although I believe that I have tried to do the best that I can, I know that I have fallen short much of the time.  I have learned that it is in my nature to be impatient, selfish, controlling, and quick tempered.  These are not characteristics that I regard in any way as acceptable.  I know that these things are not pleasing to God.  I do not want my children to learn these behaviors from their own mother and I certainly do not want to pass these traits onto them.  I also cannot be a very good spouse if these characteristics are left unchecked.  

In the scriptures the Savior taught us about the characteristics that followers of Christ should exhibit.    From a talk given by JUAN A. UCEDA Of the Seventy  "He Teaches Us To Put Off The Natural Man":

"He teaches us to be submissive, or in other words, to yield to the will or power of the Lord. He teaches us to be meek, or in other words, to be “mild of temper; soft; gentle; not easily provoked or irritated; yielding; given to forbearance under injuries.”  He teaches us to be humble, or in other words, “lowly; modest; meek; submissive; opposed to proud, haughty, arrogant, or assuming.” He teaches us to be patient, or in other words, “having the quality of enduring evils without murmuring or fretfulness” or “calm under the sufferance of injuries or offenses.” He teaches us to be full of love.  He teaches us to put off the natural man.  He teaches us to become “a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord.” And then we will reconcile ourselves to God, and we will become friends to God. "

My Sharing Time lesson today was on the atonement of Christ.  I am grateful for the power of the Savior’s Atonement to cleanse, purify, and make us and our homes holy as we strive to put off the natural man and follow Him.  I know that I am not perfect but I am striving to be a disciple of Christ, to be a loving and supportive wife and mother.  I hope that the lyrics of this song can find a place to call home in my heart and in my mind, that I may always think of my Savior standing next to me:

"If The Savior Stood Beside Me" words and music by Sally Deford

Lyrics:

If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously,
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more reverently
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would my thoughts be clean and pure?
Would His presence give me strength and hope, and courage to endure?
Would His counsel guide my actions? Would I choose more worthily
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I often kneel to pray?
Would I listen to the Spirit's voice, and hasten to obey?
Would I count my many blessings? Would I praise Him gratefully
If I could see the Savior standing nigh watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I comfort those in need?
Would I try to show the Savior's love in every word and deed?
Would I give to those who hunger? Would I serve more willingly
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

He is always near me, though I do not see Him there
And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care
So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.

No comments: