Utilizing the power of chocolate at the most opportune moments in life.
Taken at key times it can unlock a power within us
To take on and seize almost any moment
Of any day.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Options 1, 2, and 3

Post Oral Surgery
When we arrived at the doctors office at 7:45 Monday morning the receptionist's facial expression demonstrated a lack of enthusiasm for our presence as my two young children, already hyped up on Frootloops, and my ever-ready to entertain husband entered the small waiting area for the approximate 2 hour wait.

After an anxious 10 minutes or so I was ushered into the office and handed a long list of possible complications and asked to initial each indicating that I was properly informed - standard procedure. I laughed out loud as I read over the possibilities. The nurse looked at me several times obviously assessing what mind altering drug I might have consumed prior to our visit. I assured her that I was a bit nervous and that this list could be a serious problem for someone who was overly sensitive to stressful situations - not me of course.

Off to surgery. Although I chose to be sedated for the surgery they gave me laughing gas along with some anesthesia prior to the actual sedation. I am still unclear as to why I needed all three. As the gas started taking effect I asked the nurse if they get people saying pretty funny things from the gas. She replied that she really does not know why they call it "laughing gas" because only people who are really silly to begin with get silly. She said it really just relaxes you. Well I immediately started feeling like the life of the party. I wanted to crack jokes and I wanted to entertain. I tried to refrain but I did let loose with what I thought to be witty comments to the nurses as well as the doctor. The doctor sorta snickered and then left the room.

There was a brief period when the nurses were administering all the medications that I began to feel nauseous and like I was going to faint. I informed the nurses and they said that it was from the oxygen mask - that I was probably getting a little claustrophobic. They lifted the mask off my face a bit. I informed the nurse that I was quite sure I was not feeling claustrophobic. We went back and forth a few times on the subject until the feeling subsided. Shortly thereafter I was lights out.

As I was coming out of the sedation after the surgery I was aware of the nurses and I was feeling a sense of love and that I wanted tell everyone that I loved them - I was aware of the reality of things and I refrained from telling the nurses and the doctor that I loved them. But I remember thanking everyone several times - I felt very thankful indeed - but I realized I was being repetitive. I asked the nurse to thank the doctor for me and she said - "Oh, you did - you thanked him." I suspect I was repetitive with him as well :- )

Overall, the experience in the doctors office went well. However, recovery is not fun. On several occasions throughout the week I have questioned why I voluntarily did this but quickly reminded myself that problems were eminent with those pesky wisdom teeth and waiting would likely not have a good result in the long run.

I am so very grateful for my fabulous husband who took off two days from work so that I could virtually sleep through Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday was a blur. But, what luck, Thursday was a holiday and I again got to sleep as much as I wanted. He is taking great care of me and is an awesome father too!

No comments: